Civil Court Services - Appellate Section
Miami-Dade County Clerk’s Office Harvey Ruvin, Clerk and the 11th Judicial Circuit Court Appeals
DADE COUNTY COURTHOUSE CIVIL DIVISION
73 West Flagler Street, Rm. 138 Miami, Florida 33130
Business Hours: 9:00A.M. – 4:00 P.M. Monday through Friday excluding, Holidays.
The Clerk’s duties are established by the State Constitution, State Statutes, regulations, County Ordinances and judicial orders and include:
• EX-OFFICIO CLERK OF THE BOARD OF COUNTY COMMISSIONERS
• COUNTY RECORDERS
• COUNTY AUDITOR
• CUSTODIAN OF ALL COUNTY FUNDS
• CUSTODIAN OF ALL RECORDS FILED WITH THE COURT
Miami-Dade County’s Clerk, Harvey Ruvin, is assisted in fulfilling his duties by his Senior Management Team; Directors; Division Chiefs, Managers; and a staff of more than twelve hundred employees at office locations throughout Miami-Dade County. The Clerk's Office is dedicated to providing support to the court system and professional service to the public, the judiciary, the legal community and the County Commission.
Requests for the status of a matter pending before the court can be directed to the Appeals Unit at 305-679-1007. Please be advised that the clerk cannot give any legal advice, or provide the name of the judge considering the matter.
TYPES OF APPEALS HEARD BY THE APPELLATE DIVISION
• ADMINISTRATIVE APPEALS
• COUNTY COURT CIVIL APPEALS FOR SMALL CLAIMS AND COUNTY CIVIL CASES
• PETITIONS FOR WRIT OF CERTIORARI
• APPEAL OF A TRAFFIC CASE
• APPEAL OF A MISDEMEANOR CASE
• PARKING APPEALS
• CRIMINAL DOMESTIC VIOLENCE
Notices or Petitions are to be filed with the Civil Division, Appeals Unit at: 22 NW 1st Street RM. 301 Miami, FL 33128
The Notice or Petition may also be filed at the court location in which the case on appeal was heard. If this is done please fax a copy to the Appeals Unit at: 305-679-1113
A filing fee in the amount listed below must accompany the Notice of Appeal. The clerk accepts cash, money orders, checks and credit cards.
County Civil Appeals, Traffic, Misdemeanor, Writs of Certiorari, Parking and Criminal Domestic Violence
- $281.00 APPEAL TO CIRCUIT COURT
- $1.00 PER PAGE
- $2.00 CERTIFICATION FEE
- $281.00 APPEAL TO CIRCUIT COURT
RECORD PREPARATION DEPOSITS
In addition to the filing fees, a records preparation deposit is required when the appeal is filed in the following amount:
$100 For County Court Civil & Parking
$250 For Traffic and Misdemeanor Appeals, Criminal Domestic Violence
NOTICE OF APPEAL
The notice of appeal shall be substantially in the form prescribed by rule 9.900(a) as follows:
• The Caption shall contain
- the name of the lower tribunal
- the name (including the address) and designation of at least 1 party on each side
- the case number in the lower tribunal.
• The body of the Notice shall contain
- the name of the court to which the appeal is taken
- the date of rendition of the order being appealed
- whether the appeal is on a final or nonfinal order the nature of the order to be reviewed.
A conformed copy of the order or orders designated in the notice of appeal shall be attached to the notice together with any order entered on a timely motion postponing rendition of the order or orders appealed, except in criminal cases.
RECORD ON APPEAL
The Record on Appeal is prepared in compliance with the Florida Rules of Appellate Procedure 9.200 or 9.141, as applicable. It is the responsibility of the appellant or appellant’s counsel to ensure the timely filing of transcripts or depositions with the Clerk of Courts Appellate Section. Please note the following:
PAYMENT REQUIRED: Preparation of the index requires a DEPOSIT with the clerk. A final statement of cost will be mailed if the deposit does not cover the cost for the record. Upon receipt of your payment, you will be mailed a copy of the Index.
DIRECTIONS: The Record on Appeal will be prepared pursuant to Fla. R. App. P. 9.200(a)(1), unless the appellant, within 10 days of the filing of the Notice of Appeal, directs the clerk otherwise pursuant to Fla. R.App.P.9.200(a).
DESIGNATIONS: Designations must be filed with the clerk within 10 days of the Notice of Appeal. Copies of the designations must be filed on the court reporter.
EXHIBITS: All paper exhibits are included in the record. If a party desires to include any oversized or physical evidence, they must seek permission from the court.
1. An original and three (3) copies of all briefs must be filed with the Court.
2. Pursuant to Appellate Rules 9.110(4)(f), 9.130(6)(e), and 9.140(g), your INITIAL BRIEF is due within the prescribed times as noted below, subject to any orders tolling the time for said filing.
- CIVIL AND ADMINISTRATIVE APPEALS: Rule 9.110(4) (f) Appellant’s initial brief shall be served within 70 days of filing the notice.
- APPEAL ON NON FINAL ORDERS: Rule 9.130(6) (e) Appellant’s initial brief, accompanied by an appendix as prescribed by rule 9.220, shall be served within 15 days of filing the notice.
- CRIMINAL APPEALS: 9.140(g) Initial briefs shall be served within 30 days of service of the record or designation of appointed counsel, whichever is later.
3. Unless otherwise required, the ANSWER BRIEF shall be served within 20 days after service of the initial brief; the REPLY BRIEF, if any, shall be served within 20 days after service of the answer brief.
4. The original and three (3) copies of all briefs shall be securely bound in book form or be securely stapled in the upper left corner
5. When filing an appendix, four (4) bound copies of the appendix must be submitted.
An original and one (1) copy of all motions must be filed with the Court, with the following exceptions:
- Motion for Attorney’s Fees and/or Costs: file original and three (3) copies
- Request for Oral Argument: file original and three (3) copies
You are required to enclose one (1) addressed, stamped envelope for each of the parties listed in the Certificate of Service, with all motions, including Requests for Oral Argument.
APPEAL FILING CHECK LIST
- NOTICE OF APPEAL OR PETITION WITH COPY OF ORDER BEING APPEALED ATTACHED
- NAME AND ADDRESS OF ALL PARTIES INCLUDED ON NOTICE, PETITON OR ATTACHED ORDER
- FILING FEES AND RECORD DEPOSIT
- ADDRESSED, STAMPED ENVELOPES WITH ALL MOTIONS FOR EACH PARTY LISTED ON CERTIFICATE OF SERVICE
- ORIGINAL + 3 COPIES OF ANY BRIEF FILED
- 4 COPIES OF ANY APPENDIX FILED
- DIRECTIONS AND DESIGNATIONS FILED WITHIN 10 DAYS OF FILING OF THE NOTICE OF APPEAL
Automated Voice Response System
Available 24 Hours / Day 7 Days / Week DIAL
Central Depository: 305-275-1122
All other Services: 305-275-1155
Americans With Disabilities Act: Qualified individuals requiring an ADA Accommodation may contact the Court ADA Coordinator at Telephone (305) 349-7175; TDD (305) 349-7174, Fax (305) 349-7355. Individuals who are hearing or voice impaired may contact the telephone number(s) listed via the Florida Relay Service at 1-800-955-8771, or by dialing 711. Please note, at least 7 days advanced notice is required when scheduling Sign Language Interpreters.